Who likes to weed? Keeping mulch on your plant beds helps control weeds, retain soil moisture and reduce erosion and stormwater runoff. Follow these tips when mulching:
- Cut down on mowing by replacing grass with mulch in areas that are shaded or difficult to mow.
- Keep the level of mulch up to 2–3 inches by applying it once or twice a year.
- Keep mulch 2 inches from the base of plants to avoid disease.
- Let fallen tree leaves stay under a tree to create self-mulching areas.
- Look for cypress mulch that is not harvested from Florida’s wetlands.
- Choose recycled mulch or alternatives like melaleuca, leaves, pine needles or bark.